Saturday, November 27, 2010

Mousepad problem on Ubuntu 10.10 for HP Pavilion dm4-1160

I have an HP pavilion dm4 and have installed 64-bit ubuntu 10.10.

The touchpad works fine in Win7 but is totally erratic in Ubuntu. If I put more than one finger on the touchpad, the cursor jumps all over the place erratically and randomly submits clicks. The right-click function of the touchpad also doesn't work.

In the mouse settings, the option for multi-touch is grayed out, but the touchpad is obviously still registering multi-touch info. I did try disabling mouse clicks to no avail; the cursor would still jump around erratically.

I've tried installing gsynaptics, but that doesn't help. I've also tried a few scripts provided by other people for enabling multi-touch when the option is greyed out, but that doesn't help. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the synaptics xorg touchpad driver with no luck.

Finally I found a great post with a script to fix this : 
http://sansmicrosoft.blogspot.com/2010/10/pavilion-dm4-1160-touchpad-erratic-bis.html

1 comment:

  1. hi, I've the same problem. and I've tried your link but it's broken, please email me the working link or the script to: yousifmagdi@gmail.com
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback